Tuesday 1 February 2011

Workshop with Richard Sweeney [2]

Today's workshop we were set a more specific brief, but still the outcome was endless.
We were instructed to fold up an A2 sheet lengthways and then add a border around it(1.5cm). Then cut lines down the centre, 1cm apart. We then cut the page in two so it looked something like this:




We then had to manipulate it in whichever way we liked, but this time adhesive could be used. However, I preferred to use blu-tac so that I could then unstick it after photographing and try different ways without having to redo every stencil.


Here are a few of my finished photographs:







 The photo above, bottom right is my favourite of todays workshop as I like the smooth curves and straight lines that adds to a directional piece.


I also like the way it cross hatches when folded over, I'd like to have this effect in my final piece.






 The next few pieces I was experimenting with spines, and how folding with different sized/directional spines can change the way the final outcome appears.






This workshop gave me more inspiration and I actually preferred this method to the ones I used before, I like how the different lines create a nice shadow and that it flows nicely as a photo.
We also had the chance to look at Richards research and how he used natural patterns to replicate with paper. And used different techniques to create similar effects.
I'm going to research staircases and use that to move my experiments forward, as the lines and twisting reminds me of spiral staircases and thought that I might be able to take some inspiration from.

No comments:

Post a Comment